Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Book series

So I'm kinda being an insomniac tonight so I thought I'd share this story...

A couple weeks ago my husbands buddy sent us a nice gift- a book! Attached was a note that just said " you guys gotta read this- they've even picked it up as an hbo series" the book was Game of Thrones and as I had absolutely NOTHING going on I'm my life I picked it up.

Ok flash forward to me a week later : I've become the type of reader that makes me hate the person I've become. All "free" moments are spent reading said book- Aka time when I should be making dinner, conversation with my husband or other things... You get the drift. Anyways, so I start telling myself the lies that every bad book reader says: I'll pray more often, I'll cook dinner AND bake dessert, I'll do some craft from Pinterest, I'll become stable JUST as soon as this book is through....

Ok now super flash forward: it's roughly midnight, my husband is idly snoring while my spot light of a night light interrogates the room because I'm positive I'll go blind reading without 50,000 watts to back me up. I'm about 100 pages from finishing Game of Thrones and moving on with my life but something is just not right... The author has gone to major lengths in the first 700 pages laying out new worlds, building character depth and truly weaving a suspenseful novel. Here is the problem- nothing is getting wrapped up. I mean I'm down to 20 pages and I'm thinking man kinda a crappy job ending this mr big shot author - I mean if your gonna be this obtuse with the ending you shouldn't have dedicated all that time in building in the beginning! And then it hits me - like running into bedpost in the dark of night trying to get to the toily ***may or may not have happened*** this book is not ending. With ten pages to go the realization is blackens my future and I quickly flash to the front of the book and there it is in all it's glittery bedazzlement mocking my personal agenda that was ten pages away from being carried out: "enjoy reading these other fabulous and most definitely long, very long books in this most fantastic series that spans out over six more books! And guess what we're still writing!!!!"

Needless to day I've been immobile for the past week trying to decide what to do.- buy second book or move on with life and wait 6 years for hbo to finish the series..... I'm still debating here in wonderland.

3 comments:

  1. I. Like. Your. Way. Of. Thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mimi! I saw your blog, read quite a bit of it and got to this posting. I am in an absolute enthrall with that book series. I hadn't been reading much, a book here, a posting there, but nothing was catching my eyes. I am a sucker for a good fantasy series ie Harry Potter, Eragon, Phillip Pullman's books His Darkest Materials. But since mostly all of those have finished I have found myself floundering for a good read. Then my dear friend hands over this book, I was like meh, we will see. I finished the book by the weeks end and had purchased book two, and starting book three. So good! I just wanted to salute your post, and regale on how I fell victim to the hands of this book as well. Keep blogging, hope life is great! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to hear have you started book 2 I brought you book 2,3 and 4. Start reading and posting what are you doing down there??????? love MOM

    ReplyDelete