Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Tune Up

Well it's day 5 of my tune up- for those of you that don't know I have Cystic Fibrosis,  a disease that requires I get oiled up and greased down like a car. Ok not really, a "tune up" is typically a 14 day stay in the hospital where you're pumped full of antibiotics, patted down by multiple respiratory machines and worked on by a team of skilled nurses and doctors all in hopes that when you leave your lungs might be just a little bit better then when you came in.
The IV pole in all its glory
 I've always looked at these "tune ups" as time to unwind a little, breathe better and get some rest but after getting in the CF community a little more I've approached this one with a little more pizazz! I know that sitting in that bed does nothing productive for me so I"m working hard to feel better in here which includes running/walking the 9 flights of stairs to my floor, daily stretching and really trying to cough. Ok this last one might seem funny but it's true. A huge part of the CF problem is not getting mucus out of the lungs. You can do the exercises and take the treatments but if you don't set aside time to cough it out then there really was no benefit. It seems simple but it's huge! Anyways, that's it for me today. I'm working from the hospital, trying to find a new job, trying to do the job I have, and challenging every norm I know.

Andy (the husband) has been great so far. Poor guy this is his first hospital experience with the sickly wife but he has been such a support and motivator to me. He stays with me (the first night was spent in Express Admissions aka a slower emergency room where nothing gets done but they leave all the lights on)  walks with me, talks with me and plays cards with me- he is currently beating me at gin rummy a result I'm less than thrilled to report. But so far, 4 months into marriage he is my rock and I'm so thankful for it. He asks funny questions to the nurses and is learning CF in a way that you can't understand unless you're living life with a CF'er.  All my thanks dear. 

I'm gonna keep working at this blog thing though because although no one is currently reading it I'm sure one day I'll get a follower and I don't want to let that person down. With that....

Toodles.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Mims! Now you can't stop because now you officially have a reader (from out of state, too)!

    Love from MT,
    ~Your ex-roomie

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHh this is all soo exciting! Thanks for keeping track of me Ash! Hope life is well for you and that either I make it to Montana someday soon or you find yourself in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Buddha bear,
    I'm following your blog now too! Because I love you, and you're interesting.
    Love you always!

    ReplyDelete